Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Abert the Hamster aka Albee

This afternoon I noticed Kristoffer's hamster was hanging out in the corner of his cage curled up in a ball. Normally he sleeps in his hut but today he didn't. I noticed he was just not moving from that corner at all but was still breathing. When Mike got home we noticed the hamster's breathing was getting bad. Even though he is a small creature we didn't want him to suffer so I called the vet. I went to pick him up and he tried to get away. I noticed his back legs were dragging so he did have a stroke sometime early today. Which is one of the 3 causes for hamsters to die. While Kristoffer was occupied we put Albert in a carrier and Mike took him to the vet. This hamster only bit 3x in the 2 years we had him after finding him abandoned in a vacant apartment malnourished and it was out of fear. (Hamsters are known to bite) Now it's off to explain to Kristoffer why his Albee went away. This sucks since just November 30,2011 I had to explain to him why his 7 month old kitten didn't come home.



2 comments:

  1. Aww I'm sorry! You're a good pet owner, sounds like you did the right thing taking it to the vet to be out of pain. Poor Albee! I hope Kristoffer is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristoffer is doing very well. We told him that Albee got a haircut. I kept him occupied while Mike took Albert #1 out of the house to the vet. Kristoffer just loves Albee's new "haircut". This is the only time we probably can do the pet switch-a-roo. I think our cat knows it's a different hamster tho. Oh well. Kristoffer is still doing good after his kitten passed away 7 months ago. We told him on that one she was busy at her new home. He accepted that.

    ReplyDelete